In 2009 the Government of Iraq launched an initiative to send 50, 000 Iraqi students on scholarship to the US, UK, Canada and Australia over the next 5 years.
In the Kurdish Region in the north of Iraq, the Human Capacity Development Program in Higher Education (HCDP) aims to develop human capacities in the Kurdistan Region in the field of higher education. The annual budget for the programme is US$120 million.
Levant Education is aiming to support UK universities who wish to provide courses for sponsored students from the KRG region or Baghdad, and to provide a platform for Iraqi students to research options for study in the UK, both online and through our exhibitions. Scholarship students are already heading to the USA in large numbers.
Ultimately we hope to ensure that UK institutions receive a good proportion of scholarship students, from all parts of Iraq, as well as privately financed students. Our goals for 2012/13 include:
- to bring UK universities and the Iraq Ministry of Higher Education & Research together to increase mutual understanding and cooperation
- to work with the Iraqi Embassy in London and discuss student mobility to the UK
- to work more closely with the Kurdish Regional Government in the UK an in Erbil to better serve the needs of the HCDP initiative
- to promote UK HE to all Iraqi students, from every city in Iraq
- to establish iraq.studybritish.com as a year-round source of information about UK study options
We have already led 3 delegations of UK universities to Iraq since October 2011. April 2013 will be our fourth UK Education Tour to northern Iraq, and we have established excellent relationships with KRG Ministers and UK Consulate officials to ensure that our events not only meet exhibitor requirements, but contribute towards the success of the local scholarship initiatives too. We are also building the Iraqi version of Studybritish.com to help promote UK education.
In 2013 we will focus on increasing opportunities for UK education in Iraq, including establishing better links to the Iraqi Higher Education Study Abroad scholarship programme. Here is a summary of the basic requirements for Iraqi students to be eligible for such a scholarship.
- Iraqi citizen residing in Iraq for 2 years prior to scholarship application
- Excellent record of academic achievement
- Agree to return to Iraq to serve for the same number of years as years of study
2-year Program Scholarship eligibility requirements:
- High school graduate
- Minimum baccalaureate score of 80%
4-year Program Scholarship eligibility requirements:
- High school graduate
- Top 10% of class
- Less than 22 years of age
- Completed undergraduate program
- Top 10% of undergradate class
ALL fields of study and degrees are covered by this scholarship and will be considered.
Have a question / comment about reaching Iraqi students?